Tuesday 13 January 2009

Has anybody seen my spleen?

Well I survived the gig with most of my lungs intact…although I am suffering an almighty headache today…..and before you ask, no it was not self inflicted. They wheeled out a local cider at this place that bubbled…I thought it best to leave well alone and stick to that black sticky American soft drink that the police clean the blood off of the roads with.

We performed our best, although my singing voice wasn’t up to much (comments like “so what’s new” are not appreciated) and Aaron had to take over on several occasions when I doubled up with a hacking cough.

His concern really came from his experience of this particular virus with myself and his mother coughing so badly that we….well……without putting to fine a point on it…puked!

Now I know that the harder edge of Heavy Metal vomit on stage as part of the act. The keyboard player from ‘Cradle of Filth’ (a good Christian band much sought out for Sunday school parties) regularly vomited up a mixture of plum tomatoes and latex to particularly stunning effect.

However, the sight of a 40 something doubled up, cradling his acoustic guitar and hocking up his sticky toffee pudding and custard in a local public house would probably not be greatly appreciated by the management and punters alike and would probably guarantee a life time blockade on ever being asked to return.

Anyway, apart from having to recover my spleen from behind the bar where it had landed no great damage was done, apart from the irreparable beating my dignity took.

By the looks of it, 2009 will probably see the return of more acoustic style music to The Loader’s repertoire, especially as we do not have to cart about two and half tonne of equipment around with us. That is not to say that The Mudheads will in anyway slow down, but we are endeavouring to be more selective on the type of gigs we play.

On the journey home from the gig Aaron made an encouraging observation.

He works in a massive music store with lots of other musicians who apparently tend to give him a fair amount of stick for performing in a band with his old man.

His response to these ‘serious’ musicians is philosophical. He said that most of these guys spend most of their time ‘talking’ about music and dreaming of that big major record deal.

Aaron concedes that he does play in a band with his dad, but he is out there doing it and not just talking about it. He is also generally getting paid for it, which in his mind is a real bonus.

So on behalf of the ‘old farts’ in The Mudheads (which generally speaking means me)…and to quote The Who……”I hope that I die before I get (TOO) old”.

Rock & roll

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I would prefer you to quote the Jon Bon Jovi lyrics "I'm not old, just older"

Discuss...!