Tuesday 11 November 2008

Use it or lose it!!

I have been asked to write an article for Bristol Rocks based on the old Post Office campaign of, if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.

Its something I have written on before as the live music scene in the UK is dying on its backside (or at least it is, as my good friend Quick Sketch calls it, ‘at the bottom of the barrel’).

However, I am finding this hard to do as all I want to do is have a ‘damn good whinge’, which probably wouldn’t produce a fine, unbiased piece of journalistic text.

The reason for my wish to vent bile is that The Mudheads have been asked to support a gig at the end of this month, which is in aid of The Jessie May Foundation a children’s hospice that cares for sick and dying children and their families.

We are to perform as part of a benefit concert, which is to be headlined by a chap that lost his three year old daughter to Leukaemia.

Sure the tickets are £10 a pop, but I thought that in light of this amazing cause, people would be flocking to purchase tickets to enjoy an evening of live music and support an extremely worthy cause into the bargain.

Do you know how many tickets The Mudheads have sold…..one…yup! ONE!

I am utterly gob smacked at this.

Despite pushing it everywhere and anywhere, we have achieved the promise of one sold ticket….and that is to the bloke that often roadies for us! To be fair, he should be getting in for free anyway.

Could it be that the need to sit and watch television on a Friday night has captured people into refusing to leave the safety of their sofas?
Could it be that reports of the rising crime rate has frightened the good folk of Bristol into not leaving their castles after dark (at least not without the support of an armed guard).

Or could it be that people are all ‘good caused’ out. There is no compassion left! Nothing left to give.

I don’t know, and I do have to remind myself that I too will probably be sat on my backside with a glass of wine of Friday watching ‘Children in Need’ as opposed to being out there, actually doing something about it.

However, I was inspired by Quick Sketch’s good lady wife (Polly) who despite many MANY other responsibilities ran the London marathon in aid of Muscular Dystrophy. If she can do it, then I am not giving up….perhaps it might be time to start mugging people.

Oh, and you will be the first to find out how we got on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its wonderful that you have decided to run the London marathon. You have right? That is waht you menat when you said ..and I quote:

"However, I was inspired by Quick Sketch’s good lady wife (Polly) who despite many MANY other responsibilities ran the London marathon in aid of Muscular Dystrophy"

I for one would be willing to sponsor you. Which good cause were you going to run for?

Brian said...

I would have loved to come & see the Mudheads as it is a very, VERY long time since I heard you performing, Paul (you really don't want to be reminded of just how long!).But that evening I shall not be sitting on my sofa, as you suggest, but shall be at Bath City Church, listening to Mark Stibbe at the Revival Britain conference!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian - not sure how to leave a note on your blog - what are you expecting from the revival conference at Bath City Church. We were thinking of coming down but I'm not sure I can get enough time off work. We have to add two days onto the conference for travelling from Scotland.

Unknown said...

Polly's thrilled you are going run the marathon. She reckons you might be to late for '09 but she'll run again in 2010 with you to celebrate your 50th year. Good man. Bassbin, what about you?