Wednesday 12 May 2010

There and back again!

I can tell by the number of responses to my last blog that you are all beside yourselves with impatience in anticipation as to what the ‘American Record contract’ is all about. Actually, to be fair, I do have a very strong visual image of tumble weed and the sound of crickets chirping that accompany the very real lack of interest that has greeted me.

Still, as they say, why change the habit of a life time. Chuckle!!

Regular followers of this blog will remember that back in the long distant past in the days of my youth I used to play in a rock band called Amaziah.

This year is actually the 30th anniversary of Amaziah’s demise and September this year will mark the moment when we all went our separate ways in disgust at having royally dropped the ball and not having achieved anywhere near what we had hoped we would. Such is life.

The memory of Amaziah began to slowly dim, rekindled only when our one and only album suddenly re-emerged as a collector’s item and began reaching sums of 1500 dollars on the open market.

Inwardly groaning at the fact that I had given several boxes of said record away as I couldn’t sell them once the band had gone I content myself that I had performed on a recording that the discerning collector would seek out. People actually wanted it and were prepared to pay good money for it.

I ignored the fact that what was on the record was immaterial; it was it’s rarity that people coveted. Whatever the reason, I was a collectible. Well, not just me, but Amaziah as a whole.

As the clouds of time thickened I moved on and I thought no more of it.

That was until my good friends Quick Sketch and Bassbin persuaded me to pick up the quill and begin to pen my memoirs in the form of this blog.

My burgeoning talent for the written word (cough) was soon recognised and I was commissioned by several websites to write columns and music reviews.

Within this I began to write for an international site called ‘Cross Rhythms’ and in a moment of unbridled sentimentality I wrote a brief history of ‘Amaziah’ from my perspective. The article was well received and it even allowed me the pleasure of catching up with several former Amaziah members that I had not had contact with since the bands demise.

Time, as always, moved on.

Until last week when Cross Rhythms asked me to contact the director of an American Record label that had stumbled across my article and desperately wanted to talk to me.

It would seem that many years ago he had managed to get his hands on the American release of the album, and rather enjoyed it. Suddenly he now had the opportunity to contact one of the band and set about realising an ambition to re-master and re-release ‘Straight Talker’ as a ‘classic album.

Suddenly, I found myself on behalf of my former band mates in a position to be signing a five year contract with a large American Record company who have a world wide distribution network 30 years after the band has ceased to be. Now that is what they call irony.

Three things excite me about the project;

Firstly, the company will re-master the whole album and my experience already from when one of the tracts was re-jigged last year, is that the album will take on a whole new life and be much fuller and have more depth.

The second is that the company are interested in putting some of the demos we later made, but never saw the light of day, onto the album as bonus tracks.

The third and perhaps the most exciting is that the company would be extremely keen for Amaziah, the band, to explore the possibility of a reunion.

That in itself would be fraught with hurdles and difficulties, but non the less if it could come off I personally would jump at the chance.

My main motivation has to be that I am a far more accomplished singer and musician than I was at 19 years old (despite the comments made by my current band mates). Listening to recordings of Amaziah and my bass playing on ‘Straight Talker’ only highlights my youthful lack of ability and confidence. I have often day dreamed on the notion ‘what if I could go back, knowing what I know now?’ Well, here is the opportunity to do just that.

Anyway readers, you will be the first to know of any new developments.

It’s just that knowing how successful several ‘re-reformed’ acts have become second time around…it could be an interesting ride. However; I wouldn’t hold my breath that it would be in the same league as ‘Take That’….but it might be just as big a larf!!

6 comments:

Brian said...

Interesting that you raise the idea of a reunion, Paul, as I heard another member of the band talk about exactly the same thing last year! He actually said that he thought such an occurrence was on the cards. I leave you to work out who that might have been, though I doubt it will take you very long, knowing who I know!

Having seen the original band perform I for one would be interested to see how you all cope and would love to see you fit into some of the costumes you wore then!!! Of course I would love to hear the music again as well. I look forward to further developments with great interest.

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember that you (a least once) described yourself as an international musician whilst at Moorlands...I can't remember why or on what basis. I do however remember Mrs Rock God's comment that you would not be an international musician until you had played in America. Looks like you may be able to claim that title after all.

Unknown said...

I can only see it working if you wear the green romper suit and turn up to any gigs in an ancient ambulance. Anything less will lack authenticity. Mr Bassbin and I will act as your agents on the proviso that you do all the work and we get 20% of everything you earn. The contract is in the post.
Good luck.

Rock God said...

That sounds about right.....I think I made a wrong term in business somewhere along the line.

Oh, and it was a jump suit you muppet not a romper suit (I'm old enough to deserve one now though).

I think the old City of Bath ambulance died somewhere in Holland (RIP)

Bass Bin said...

Firstly. It was painters overalls, not a jump suit..!

But more importantly, the idea of a remastered 'Straight Talker' sounds brilliant. I actually liked the record but felt (as you do) that the production was very weak and the finished sound was too 'thin' for a rock album. But why not go all the way and not just re-master the album, but re-record the whole thing with the mighty Rock God on vocals. Now that would be a great album.

The illustrious Quick Sketch and I are awaiting the return of the signed management contract. 20% is a small price to pay to have such insightful guidance from two such business luminaries.

Our bags are packed, we're ready to go...

I look forward to further developments.

Anonymous said...

As you know (despite your best efforts at Moorlands) I am an musical ignoramus. Therefore I would be happy to manage your contract at the very cheap trial price of 2.5% no win no fee (that is musical terminology isn't it?).